Thursday, August 2, 2007

School Library Learning 2.0 Week 6, Exercise 13

Beautiful Music
Beautiful Music,
originally uploaded by Gexydaf.
Learn about tagging and discover Del.icio.us (a social bookmarking site)

Well, the author of this to do item nailed it. My bookmarks are a mess. Once in a while I try to clean them up and put them in categories, but really they are still a mess.

Watched the tutorial and feel like I could watch it a few more times to really take it all in. While I had previously set up a Del.icio.us account, I wasn’t using the social part as much as I could. I appreciate that it is social, but yet doesn’t feel like an attack on my personal privacy.
Looked over the SJLibraryLearning2 account – what a wealth of information. Added it to my RSS. I can see how other users categorized their bookmarks and I can also see how it would be a wonderful tool to build a community of people with shared interests.

How can libraries use this? Well, it would be a wonderful tool to teach the students (though I think it is a bit above my elementary students) and a great way to share/learn/contribute information. I think about my school district sending around photocopies of various magazines’ table of contents. When then make what we want and they copy the article for us. Del.icio.us just blows that out of the water!

No comments: